News: 1/18/12 - Darci Stern's Urban Chaos for PC, a 1999 game created by MuckyFoot, is back and better than ever!  Check out Urban Chaos HQ

We Be HostiN (http://www.webehostin.com) hosts dedicated game servers for less!  We Be HostiN can host any games that have dedicated server files.  Our servers are located in Houston, Texas (Linux Server) and Kansas City, Missouri (Windows Server)
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 01:25:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LBA2 crashes on startup  (Read 14090 times)
arnebleijenberg

« on: January 15, 2008, 01:42:05 am »

Hello all,
when i where a kid, I played LBA2 hours and hours, and I have good memories about that time. Last week i thought about that, and tried to download and install an LBA2 torrent, which kind of worked, but the screen was all messed up. Later i found out that i should have used the xp patch to get it normal. Anyway, since the screen was messed up, i tried to install on DOSBOX, which didn't work either, but ill come back to that. I found an xp patch somewhere and installed it, tried to launch LBA2 (with windows), and, depending on the version i installed (i dl'ed 3 torrents), the game crashes either directly after the picture of twinsen and...emh..the whife, or after the intro movie. The error message i get says:

"The instructions at 0047403c referenced memory at 0047403c
the memory could not be written.
Click OK to terminate application"

The first thing i thought it would be, was a corrupt patch, so u reinstalled the game, running without patch. The screen was messed up like it used to be, however the game crashed at similar points now! So it's not the crack, something in my system has been deleted or something?

Now about my problem with dosbox. I can install the game and play it. However, when i get to the part where i just freed the lighthousekeeper, and walk out of the cave with my whife, the game crashes and dosbox says: "you need cd to play LBA2, sorry"

Neither one of these problems can be googled, so i really really hope you can help me. I've already spent hours and hours to get it running but i just won't succeed. Thanks in advance, Arne

earnolmartin
Administrator
Ownage Member

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 10:54:06 pm »

Uninstall your torrent version, and download the version off of LBAHQ.  http://lbahq.videogames101.net/download.php

After installing our version, install the NO Patch + Video fix also found there.

Let me know if this helps you out.

arnebleijenberg

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:07:29 am »

thanks for the advice, but unfortunately it didn't work. Maybe because of my new problem: i accidentily removed lba2 by deleting it instead of uninstalling. Now i can't use the install nor the uninstall function... But to be honest, i think it woul't make a difference... any other suggestions?
earnolmartin
Administrator
Ownage Member

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 02:47:03 pm »

You're either going to have to delete some of the game's registry settings, or you're going to need to reformat.

If you complete any of those options, please try again.

jrgen20

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 11:02:00 am »

Hello to all.

I finally got the LBA 1 working and also finished it (previously had some sound issues). Now i want to play LBA 2 (oh nostalgia when my uncle first showd me how to play the series). But there is a problem: i installed the game using every instruction i got, applied the patches and ....does not work. Tried to setup the sound, tests ok but still nothing. When i launch the game it kind of like begins to start but only gives a black screen, pops with the resolution and send me back to windows. No Adeline logos, no peeps, nothing, just a black screen for a second or two and thats it.

I run it in Windows XP professional using a laptop Evo n600c (compaq). Please help me.

J?rgen
Skirmant
Ownage Member

Ignorance is bliss.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 11:47:26 am »

Welcome to the forum Jrgen20 Smiley

Maybe it's because of the No CD Patch it messed up the game for me so i just use the Deamon linked to the nrg. file when i play the game.
I hope it kinda helps Smiley         
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 02:37:04 pm by Skirmant » Logged
jrgen20

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 12:42:43 pm »

Ok, i uninstalled the game, put the nrg to Daemon and reinstalled it. Applied no patches or additional files, just tried to start the game but still no progress. Plus i did no sound setup pr anything else.
earnolmartin
Administrator
Ownage Member

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 07:57:26 pm »

Please remove all installations of LBA 2 manually or by using an uninstaller if applicable.

Try burning the nrg image to an actual disc using Nero, install the game from the disc, install the car patch, and try running the game.

It should work.  If it doesn't, let me know.    Grin

earnolmartin
Administrator
Ownage Member

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 07:58:12 pm »

By the way, besides the Car Patch, you will not need to patch anything else! 

jrgen20

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 06:37:03 am »

OK, i burned the .nrg file using Winiso (shouldńt matter what i use for burning?), ran the car patch, applied no other patches. I ran twinsen.exe but still does not work, same problem as before. Then i tried to set the sound in hope this fixes something and now when i select the right driver and run test digital audio it won?t even play the test sound.
Skirmant
Ownage Member

Ignorance is bliss.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 07:20:27 am »

Hmmm thats strange Undecided No, it dosen't mater what program you burn the files with. I'm not even sure wheres the problem is...
Are you sure that you totally uninstalled LBA 2 and deleted all the pach files in the folder?
I don't know if this can do anything , but did you install the old direct x in the start of LBA 2 installation? Try deleting it if you did. (I'm only guessing)

jrgen20

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 08:09:02 am »

I am pretty sure i deleted everything. Have the patch files only as zip files. I also did not install the directx (i think?) if i did how to uninstall it?
earnolmartin
Administrator
Ownage Member

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 04:30:57 pm »

Again, you should not be using any patches.  The only patch you need is the car patch which you may download here:

http://forums.videogames101.net/index.php?topic=63.0

And yes, you probably did delete everything, so just give my last suggestion a try. 

jrgen20

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 10:48:27 pm »

The thing is that i did not use the patches except the car patch. Installed it from a cd and still no luck.
earnolmartin
Administrator
Ownage Member

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 10:57:56 pm »

Strange... Do you have any version of Direct X installed?  You don't need to install the directX that comes with the game.  What are your system specs?  Could you please attach some screenshots of the errors?

Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: