News: 1/18/12 - Darci Stern's Urban Chaos for PC, a 1999 game created by MuckyFoot, is back and better than ever!  Check out Urban Chaos HQ

We Be HostiN (http://www.webehostin.com) hosts dedicated game servers for less!  We Be HostiN can host any games that have dedicated server files.  Our servers are located in Houston, Texas (Linux Server) and Kansas City, Missouri (Windows Server)
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 05:07:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LBA2: very poor visual quality - is it normal or abnormal ???  (Read 5647 times)
twinsen32

« on: June 29, 2010, 04:33:30 pm »

Greetings to LBA fans!

I think I have a problem with LBA2 if it's going about graphic quality of this game and please anyone for help if possible.

The game is downloaded from LBAHQ & going without problems, sound is ok, no display/color distortions but I think the general QUALITY of graphic is very poor. Intro movie is very poor quality and the whole world of this game. It looks like it has 256 colours or resolution of 320x200 :-) or something like that.
I was playing LBA 1 about 15 years ago and therefrom what I remember the graphic was very pretty and the cutscenes were visually great so I think it's rather impossible that sequel has worst quality than prequel :-). Everywhere I see pixels very clearly including cutscenes and generally the game is simply visually ugly and I don't feel any joy playing it while I was amazed playing LBA 1. So I think something's wrong & stinks Smiley

I've also tried to launch the game under DosBox but I've got a problem with sound. I cannot choose any sound card available in setsound.exe because I've always got a final message: "Could not save configuration file". The current sound card is always Gravis Ultrasound and the game doesn't want to run without sound configuration. Maybe in DosBox mode the game could look differently. So if somebody knows how to fix this my sound problem in DosBox please for reply.

Maybe some of you have the same bad feeling about the visuality of LBA2. Maybe it's question of resolution or my PC is too new to operate this game well like it originally should look. I've also tried to launch the game under compatibility mode in XP but no results (the same look).  

Is there a possibility to change the game resolution somehow ?
Is there a possibility to achieve better quality installing some patch ?
Is there a possibility to achieve better quality using DosBox ?

I've attached screenshots with dosbox messages. Unfortunalety I'm unable to do a print screen from the game because printed screens are simply black!

My PC specifications are: XP SP3, directX 9.0c, Athlon 64 3000+, mainboard MSI K8N Neo4-FI, Galaxy GeForce 7600GS.

I'll be thankful for any help & suggestions, cheers.

* lba2_dosbox_1.JPG (29.79 KB, 640x448 - viewed 972 times.)

* lba2_dosbox_2.JPG (39.15 KB, 640x448 - viewed 970 times.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:36:40 pm by twinsen32 » Logged
earnolmartin
Administrator
Ownage Member

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 02:07:25 am »

Have you checked this guide:

http://lbahq.com/sound.htm

If that doesn't help, let me know.

Have you installed the latest chipset drivers, flashed the latest bios, installed the latest video drivers, and the latest Windows Updates?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: