News: 1/18/12 - Darci Stern's Urban Chaos for PC, a 1999 game created by MuckyFoot, is back and better than ever!  Check out Urban Chaos HQ

We Be HostiN (http://www.webehostin.com) hosts dedicated game servers for less!  We Be HostiN can host any games that have dedicated server files.  Our servers are located in Houston, Texas (Linux Server) and Kansas City, Missouri (Windows Server)
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 12:22:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best sound device choices?  (Read 6069 times)
deusfaux

« on: April 26, 2010, 10:00:26 pm »

I assume for Sound Effects the best choice is SB16

But for music it is not so clear

The game supports GUS, correct?

There is no General Midi option, but apparently choosing MT-32 or Waveblaster will just use your GM synth set anyways...  In most cases, Microsoft's GS synth that's part of Windows.

Does this game actually support Roland MT-32?  I see it is on the wikipedia page for games that erroneously claims support, but in reality does not and never has. Essentially meaning, the MT-32 option is really just a General Midi option.

Thoughts?
earnolmartin
Administrator
Ownage Member

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 08:16:40 pm »

Check this guide:

http://www.lbahq.com/sound.htm

It should help!   Grin

deusfaux

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 02:47:05 am »

that guide suggest using "wave blaster on SB16"

but without any reasoning as to why. and I'm not entirely sure I understand what that does.  it seems to just use your default GM synth set

earnolmartin
Administrator
Ownage Member

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 03:35:52 am »

that guide suggest using "wave blaster on SB16"

but without any reasoning as to why. and I'm not entirely sure I understand what that does.  it seems to just use your default GM synth set

Well it depends on your sound card.  I believe almost all modern sound cards / chipsets support Sound Blaster specifications.  It was and is widely used for games.  

Quote from: wikipedia
The Sound  Blaster line of cards, together with the first inexpensive CD-ROM drives and evolving video technology, ushered in a new era of multimedia  computer applications that could play back CD audio, add recorded dialogue to computer games, or even reproduce motion video (albeit at much lower resolutions and quality in early days). The widespread decision to support the Sound Blaster design in multimedia and entertainment titles meant that future sound cards such as Media Vision's  Pro Audio Spectrum and the Gravis Ultrasound had to be Sound Blaster compatible  if they were to sell well. Until the early 2000s (by which the AC'97 audio standard became more widespread and eventually usurped the SoundBlaster as a standard due to its low cost and integration into many motherboards), Sound Blaster compatibility is a standard that many other sound cards still support  to maintain compatibility with many games and applications released.

More info here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qNAPnbb_fUkJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_card+Modern+sound+cards+support+Sound+Blaster&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

You're right though, it depends on your sound card / built in audio.  But most likely, you're using something more modern, but I could be wrong.

Maybe this helps to clarify a few things?  Smiley -- maybe not, but you seem to know more about sound configurations than me.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: